jueves, septiembre 24, 2026

Rocktrospectiva: The Top-Seller "Waking Up The Neighbours" Turns 35

 
Released on 24 September 1991, yes the same day such as "Nevermind", or "Blood Sugar Sex Magik." "Waking Up the Neighbours" was the sixth studio album by Canadian artist Bryan Adams, the album was a global succesful, which was already guaranteed by the success of the ballad/single "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" which had become a global hit, this significantly boost the album's performance and making it the second best-selling record of his career, following the success of 1984's "Reckless". But the album also spawned the singles "Can't Stop This Thing We Started", "Thought I'd Died And Gone To Heaven", "All I Want Is You", "There Will Never Be Another Tonight", "& "Do I Have To Say The Words?."

Produced by the legendary Robert "Mutt" Lange—who helped Adams write and refine the songs—the album featured the standout track originally composed by Michael Kamen in the 1960s. Lange assisted with the lyrics, and they added a distinctive touch using medieval instruments, as the song served as the theme for the Kevin Costner film "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves".  

However, there were other great tracks as well, such as the second single, "Can't Stop This Thing We Started"—a more upbeat, rock-oriented song that reached No. 2 and received heavy rotation on MTV. Next came "There Will Never Be Another Tonight" which didn't get much airplay althought it was originated from a late-80s collaboration between Adams and Jim Vallance, followed by the power ballad "Thought I'd Died and Gone to Heaven," which was the fourth single and another Top 20 hit. Later came "All I Want Is You," "Touch the Hand," and the brilliant "Do I Have To Say The Words?"; the latter received heavy MTV rotation and was a genuine hit worldwide. 

The album was a massive global success, driven by the famous Robin Hood's  theme song—which ranked in the top five tracks of 1991 in many countries worldwide—and cemented Adams's status as an international global star. 

However, it also sparked controversy in his home country due to Canadian content regulations; despite being Canada's biggest album, it was produced and created with non-Canadians, meaning it did not qualify as a "Canadian" record. Adams boycotted the Juno Awards as a result, a move that ultimately led to a review of the policy. 

The album likely marked the end of Adams's era of massive commercial dominance, as he never again achieved success on the same scale. Unlike the alternative acts at the time, Adams was already an established artist, so his trajectory—and the reach of this album—followed a completely different path.
 
Waking Up The Neighbours Track List:  
 
1. Is Your Mama Gonna Miss Ya?
2. Hey Honey, I'm Packin' You In!
3. Can't Stop This Thing We Started
4. Thought I'd Died And Gone To Heaven
5. Not Guilty
6. Vanishing
7. House Arrest
8. Do I Have To Say The Words?
9. There Will Never Be Another Tonight
10. All I Want Is You
11. Depend On Me
12. (Everything I Do) I Do It For You
13. If You Wanna Leave Me (Can I Come Too?) 
14. Touch The Hand
15. Don't Drop That Bomb On Me 

No hay comentarios.: